Punjab (Pakistan/India) (1680 - 1758) Timeline
Muslim / Sufi
Poems by Bulleh Shah
Books - Links
Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening.
The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular comical stories -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah.
Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.
His tomb in the Qasur region of Pakistan is greatly revered today.
Poems by Bulleh Shah
- Bulleh has no identity
- Bulleh! to me, I am not known
- He Who is Stricken by Love
- I have been pierced by the arrow of love, what shall I do ?
- I have got lost in the city of love
- If the divine is found through ablutions
- Look into Yourself
- Love Springs Eternal
- One Point Contains All
- One Thread Only
- Remove duality and do away with all disputes
- Repeating the name of the Beloved
- Seek the spirit, forget the form
- The moment I bowed down
- The soil is in ferment, O friend
- this love -- O Bulleh -- tormenting, unique
- What a carefree game He plays!
- You alone exist; I do not, O Beloved!
- Your love has made me dance all over
- Your passion stirs me
Sufi Poets - Bulleh Shah
Brief biography and exploration of Bulleh Shah's poetry.
Bulleh Shah: His Life and Poetry
An extended article on Bulleh Shah's life and spiritual path, with several selections of his poetry.
Bulleh Shah: Leading Light of Punjab
A brief article on Bulleh Shah and a few verses.
Bulleh Shah: Ideas & Identities of India Pakistan
A good article on the life and influence of Bulleh Shah.
Several poems translated by Suman Kashyap.
Bulleh Shah - Wikipedia
Brief biography of Bulleh Shah, along with a quick exploration of his poetic style and influence into the modern era.
Hazrat Baba Bulleh Shah Life
An exploration of Bulleh Shah's life and poetry. Many poem excerpts.