by Matsuo Basho
English version by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto
sings all day,
and day not long enough.
/ Image by Chad Horwedel /
View All Poems by Matsuo BashoA haiku for us today, one that brings me a smile every time I read it.
This is one of those poems where any attempt at commentary feels absurd. What it says is simple and direct, yet it resonates in the mind and the heart. Reading it, I find myself questioning the importance of busy daily activities. On those weary days when I am just ready for the day to be over, have I misspent my day? Have I held back my song?
Today might just be a day to burst forth in song!Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary... (Or visit the poem's blog page to click the FB 'Like' button.)
/ Photo by Daisuke Matsumura /
Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana
New donations in the past couple of weeks:
- Bai P., Maria O. (monthly), Nancy S. (monthly), Denny T. -- thank you!
- A big thank you also to everyone who is a regular supporter through automatic monthly donations.
A NOTE: While donations are important and greatly appreciated to keep the Poetry Chaikhana running, I know that personal finances are feeling uncertain for many people. I don't want anyone to feel that they have to make donations to receive these emails. If you need to cancel your monthly donation for any reason, I understand. When donations are easy, then I welcome them; but please do not strain your finances to donate. I want you all to be well.
A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...
- Other ways to help: Post reviews of Poetry Chaikhana publications, like The Longing in Between, on Amazon and Goodreads. This helps new people to discover the Poetry Chaikhana.
- I never ask anyone to donate more than they can comfortably afford.
- Many small donations are better than a few large donations -- making it a true community project. But for that to work, we need lots of people to contribute!
- The Poetry Chaikhana brings a little beauty and inspiration to you each week.
- It is almost springtime!